Snakes In The House

Florida Cracker

I popped my back out charging to save my bride, yesterday.

Not one but TWO big black snakes got in our kitchen and we're doing the premature dance, getting ready for their annual egg celebration, were whirling around, slithering and snapping their tails, and my wife walked right up on them.

The door out to our lanai was open to let in the wonderfully cool breeze and allow our pups to go in and out as they chose, but still be inside the screened area.

One got back out and the other decided to make a stand and came right at me. His strategy was flawed as I had a pick handle by the kitchen door and it gave me an advantage that I used to break his neck.

Snakes don't always die when you kill them. I have heard for years that a snake doesn't actually die till sundown and this one, with a broken neck wiggled it's tail for hours, hung from a post, toward the citrus trees.

My poor wife was terrified and I HATE to kill a black snake, except whe they get too familiar like this one. Mating time makes them make bad choices and these two will miss out on procreation now.

Back