Struggling in flight school (private pilot)

Samuel choi

Hello, currently I am doing part 141 private pilot course. I have finished my ground school, and passed my written.
Right now I am having trouble in getting the endorsement to do solo. Right now, I have more than 50 hours of flight, but still having struggle with landing (timing of flare), airspeed, and general multitasking inside plane.

Yesterday, I was told that it was the best flight I have done by my instructor and was given a chance to fly with a head instructor to see if I am prepared to do first solo.

I flew with him today, and I don’t know why, but made multiple mistakes.
- airspeed
- timing of flaps
- high altitude from base to final
- flaring timing (causing aircraft to go up and down on the runway)
(These are most of them)

I was told from the head instructor that while I show improvement, it is marginal. Also because I am not progressing a lot and not able to do solo, he decided that it is wise to change to part 61 due to its flexibility.

he says: you worked for it for long period of time and still can’t make it. You won’t progress by stressing on solo like this.

I don’t know what to do. I want to succeed in this course but not progressing (flight wise). Can I get some advise (other than giving up)?

PPL747 said:
I believe with part 61 you can complete many of the requirements like dual night time, instrument time; dual cross country while you improve your landings at each flight and in the same time completing most requirements.
Yes, I did exactly this when struggling to solo. Started doing other things with the instructor for a while under part 61.

Two other items:

Practicing precision landings, short and soft field, can sometimes help give the student a different perspective of the dynamics of landing and improve the normal landings.

One thing that helped me later was to realize the basic idea is to fly down into ground effect at the proper speed and then fly it along, raising the nose as it slows and it will land.

Back