Talk me out of this.

DaleB

The more I think about it, the more reasons I find to build -- and the more I find not to build.

I'm in a flying club now. We have a 172 that costs me $83 an hour to fly. There's also an Arrow ($103) and a 182 ($117). I'm a relatively new member, just joined in May, but so far there have been some issues with reliability. Scheduling doesn't look like it will be an issue long term (after I have HP and complex endorsements) -- but we're maintaining 32-43 year old airplanes, and they break. Regularly, it seems. And they guzzle fuel like there's no tomorrow. And right now I'm limited to flying the 172, which is down for a week -- again. And that could turn into something a lot longer.

It looks like an RV-9a would fit about 80 percent or more of my requirements. Fast, two seats, baggage area is a little small. Relatively inexpensive to build -- it's within my budget. An RV-10 would be even better but I don't think I could get it finished under $125K, and the operating cost with that IO-540 and CS prop are more than I'd like to see. The jury's out on the RV-14 until we have more information on it, but I suspect it's going to be a little over the budget based on Van's estimate of $9K for the non-QB wing.

So let's assume an RV-9a QB kit, 160HP from a used but solid O-320 (probably built with fuel injection and electronic ignition), Catto 3-blade prop, Dynon panel with two screens, autopilot, electric trim, nice interior. Awesome airplane. Good fuel burn, good speed, Mrs. will need to pack light when we go somewhere. Other than that, it's a win all the way around.

So now the bad news. Space... I have none. We have a 3-car garage but it's currently full, is barely deep enough to work with, and I'm sure Mrs. will not be thrilled about the prospect of parking in the driveway for a couple of years. Closest hangars are 10 minutes each way, with no heat or cooling (but there is power at least). The local EAA chapter has a hangar but it's a 30 - 45 minute drive each way. I've about concluded that trying to build in a hangar is a Very Bad Idea. If it takes more than 2 years to get the garage back... well, that's just not going to work, and that's not Mrs talking, that's me. I think the Quick Build option would be worth the extra money to get it done that much sooner.

This idea has been banging around in my head for weeks now. The EAA chapter meeting is next week. I'm going to go to that (never been to one) and try to find RV builders/owners and see if I can get a close look at one. But the more I think about it, and the longer I have to wait to get into the club plane, the more appealing the idea seems.

On the other hand, for the same money and a whole lot less effort I could buy an older factory airplane, freshen up the panel, redo the interior and fly. But I keep coming back to the experience we had when we landed a couple of weeks ago on my wife's very first GA flight. The stupid nose strut seal had let go again. We were stuck away from home, and even if I'd had the tools to fix the problem it wouldn't have been legal for me to do so. I had no choice but to get a ride home, wait for an A&P to fix it, then get a ride back out to fly the plane home. 8 hours and 400 miles of driving, and if that airport hadn't had an FBO and repair facility -- well, though nuts.

That's a stupid way to do things, IMHO. I just don't know if I'm ready to commit a couple of years of my life to building... it would be a pretty big change for myself and my poor, long suffering spouse.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Carry on.

But I keep coming back to the experience we had when we landed a couple of weeks ago on my wife's very first GA flight. The stupid nose strut seal had let go again. We were stuck away from home, and even if I'd had the tools to fix the problem it wouldn't have been legal for me to do so. I had no choice but to get a ride home, wait for an A&P to fix it, then get a ride back out to fly the plane home. 8 hours and 400 miles of driving, and if that airport hadn't had an FBO and repair facility -- well, though nuts.
The one incident cost you some inconvenience and a few hours time.

That's a stupid way to do things, IMHO. I just don't know if I'm ready to commit a couple of years of my life to building... it would be a pretty big change for myself and my poor, long suffering spouse.
How many such incidents that you describe above would you need to encounter to match the number of hours (not less than 1000 hrs) and money (not less than $50,000) and untold years you would spend building your own RV-9A?

I think you are allowing frustration to dictate a route that is actually more time consuming and costly in the long run than what you have now. I think you need to find more reasons to rationalize building than the one reason you've given.

Back