Tough little plane

iWantWings

So looking at the rental schedule for the 172 (type N) i realized that from 9:00 until 20:00 the flight school's plane is booked in 2-hour contiguous blocks - no space in between.

So here i am, at the end of the day last in line to fly it and am thinking if this little cessna can put up with yet another 1-hour flight of climb/descent, full power/then back to idle. And i'm guessing most of those other 2-hour block rentals with maybe a little more than 1 hour on the hobbs per flight were probably not any different: up/down, power on/power off, bounce a little here/brake a little there - for most of the day.

Bravo to the guys that keep those planes in flying shape, and the need for a 100-hour maintenance interval becomes more obvious. This all-day rental schedule routine sure ain't happening on a daily basys, but occasionally it does and when it's my turn to preflight it, last i line at the end of the day, it makes me wonder if the little 172 can do one more round.

And this has been going on since, like, the late 70s :D

Hardly a demanding day for an airplane - certainly not a Cessna 172.

The world record for longest flight endurance by a manned refueled airplane was actually made in a Cessna 172. One flew continuously from December 4, 1958 to February 7, 1959. It was in the air continuously for 64 DAYS, 22 hours 19 minutes and 5 seconds.

Wikipedia has a list of various flight endurance records:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_endurance_record

Back