VFR stuck on top, a confession

PP-ASEL, no instrument ticket.

Went and flew from an airport with clear skies to one with a roughly 3000 ceiling. Nearing the clouds I tried getting under but the turb was rough. Decided to climb over the scattered layer and keep going (still 2 hours from destination). Scattered became broken and finally overcast. Listening to ASOS/AWOS at destination the ceiling remained 3000.

I had flight following, requested a radar descent to get down through the clouds. Acted like I knew what I was doing, did not tell controllers I was non-instrument rated (plane is equipped /A). Carb heat and pitot heat on, OAT was above freezing.

Entered clouds and it was more disorienting than under the hood. Attitude Indicator showed me in a left bank though my body strongly disgreed. Obeyed the AI and kept level. I can now see how non-IR pilots end up rolling over in IMC. Came out of clouds just fine and promptly cancelled IFR. Proceded VFR to land at destination.

Lesson reaffirmed, obey the attitude indicator. Your body lies to you.

JoeSelch said:
Safe? :dunno:

What happens when the big fan up front quits?
How low is the ceiling? Vis under the ceiling?
How do you know the destination or departure will be clear when you get there?
What do you do when the GPS or other electronic nav equipment fails? (Oh, yeah, you've been flying by ded reckoning and keeping good track of everything... :rolleyes:)
So how does an instrument rating help you any if your engine quits if the visibility under the ceiling is indeed poor - or the ceiling is under a 1000 ft?

Likewise, if you are flying IFR and your navigation equipment fails, how are you any better off than someone flying VFR in the same scenario? Wouldn't both be able to request help from ATC? So far as I can see there isn't too much difference in probable outcomes whether those failure scenarios happen to VFR vs IFR flights.

Back