Weird Aviation Books Worth Reading

tinerj

As winter comes on, you may be looking for something interesting to read, and I can recommend these books. Most are out of print, but are readily available from Internet used bookstores. I use www.abe.com. Weirdness is often in the mind of the beholder, so I’ve not listed these in the order of weirdness. I think, however, that any reader will agree that these are strange, different, interesting, and entertaining.

Propellerhead by Antony Woodward. Non-fiction. Woodward gets into flying for the very good reason he thinks being a pilot will make him a babe magnet. His travails in learning to fly the two-seat microlight Thruster (which everyone insists on calling a Thrasher) sends him through a series of mishaps from comic to nearly tragic. One miracle escape left the plane looking like it was a pile of lawn chairs that had been crushed by a steamroller. Take away: Follow your own agenda when flying.

Propeller One-Way Night Coach by John Travolta. He calls it a fable, but it is written in the first person and reads autobiographical. Written and illustrated by the actor who states that this began as a self-published book to give to family and friends at Christmas. Although written in 1992, it is set in the 1950s. A young boy, Jeff, makes his first airline trip in a United DC-6 from Newark to LA. Along the way, we see the world through the eyes of a kid as he falls in love with flying. Only a pilot with a real affection for flying could capture Jeff’s sense of wonder during his first flight. In the story, Jeff’s mother is a Grade-B movie actress who says he can fly with her if he saves his money and buys his own ticket. A One-Way Child ticket is $95.00. Take away: Dream, work hard, and anything can happen.

The Mad Major by Major Christopher Draper. Non-Fiction, autobiography. Major Draper flew combat in World War I and in World War II, and spent 12 years between wars as an actor. He earned the title Mad Major because he was often at variance with authority, both civil and military. But by 1952 he was penniless. When he couldn’t interest anyone in listening to the plight of older pilots finding work after World War II, he conceived a way to gain attention. He would fly under all 24 bridges from the Tower Bridge to Kew along the Thames River. He did fly under the bridges, including Westminster Bridge across from Big Ben and Parliament. [When I was there that bridge looked like it would be difficult for a swimmer to pass under it. High tide, maybe.] The River Police and the Ministry of Civil Aviation summoned him. He was tried for “flying to the danger of persons and property” and for “flying less than 1,000 ft from the highest obstacle.” Amazingly, the judge ruled it a “folly” rather than a crime, so he was let off with paying court costs. Take away: You don’t have to be crazy to be a pilot – but it helps.

Back