What do you desire?

Jim Logajan

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately the two videos in this post wont play on Apple iOS devices; you'll need to view them from some other device. :( And I've never met the fellow who made them - but I like the job he did on them. The first is a montage of flying videos of the Pacific Northwest (mostly Oregon) "narrated" with a compelling verbal essay by philosopher Alan Watts that asks "What do you desire?" ... with the video giving an answer I suspect many PoA would agree with. (I've only just started flying into some of those PNW fields that the film-maker has already visited - I'm looking forward to it.)

I like this other video because I happen to have flown into all the same airfields - and the first musical number, Welcome Home, introduced me to a musical group I hadn't heard of, Radical Face, that has music I like and as a result now have a couple of their albums.

Oh yeah - I put this under "Cool Places to Fly" because Oregon has enough variety - rocky sea shore, smooth beaches, rain forest, snow-topped volcanic mountains, large deserts, and a canyon that rivals the Grand Canyon - that it is a cool place to fly.

ClimbnSink said:
That Alan Watts clip always makes me laugh. I'm certain his greatest desire was to be a guidance counselor.:lol:
The philosophy he espouses doesn't survive any deep analysis, granted, and is the downfall of a lot of people who follow it like a river running downhill. On the other hand I think there are a fair number of people who have set such a high priority on survival and fiscal pragmatics that they talk themselves out of even trying things that they desire to do - like flying. On that narrow basis I thought the video captured one of the valid aspects of the philosophy. Plus, its flying.

Back