What the heck did I see tonight?

Bonchie

Inside the SFRA, a few miles east of 2W5. 1500ft.

About 100 yards in front of me flies this blue, circular object, with what looked like a square box under it, also blue. It crossed my windshield and then by my left wing, very close at one point. ATC never called traffic. It wasn't aimlessly floating either. It was making a line straight toward the river down in the direction Reagan/DC. Moving very fast as it was out of my sight before I could get fully turned around to get a better look.

Some kind of drone perhaps?

Pizza delivery by drone?

proxy-57-jpeg.391

Attachments

• proxy.57.JPEG
    proxy.57.JPEG
    120.9 KB · Views: 106
bjohnsonmn said:
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but I work in the airborne imagery and data gathering industry. UAV's regardless of the sized are seriously restricted for commercial use. I'm not sure if it is even legal in G airspace...
WASHINGTON — A federal judge has dismissed the Federal Aviation Administration’s only fine against a commercial drone user on the grounds that the small drone was no different than a model aircraft, a decision that appears to undermine the agency’s power to keep a burgeoning civilian drone industry out of the skies.
Patrick Geraghty, a National Transportation Safety Board administrative law judge, said in his order dismissing the $10,000 fine that the FAA has no regulations governing model aircraft flights or for classifying model aircraft as an unmanned aircraft.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/commercial-drones-cleared-takeoff-judges-ruling/

Back