Who here carries a handheld com transceiver?

Stan Cooper

Bob Brown's thread prompts my question. Rather than derail Bob's thread (which has lots of great feedback) I figured it would be easier to start a new one.

I wonder how many here carry a handheld com transceiver for use in case of panel mounted com failure. I regularly fly into KOAK, a Class C airport inside the SFO Class B veil and I only have one com transceiver (Garmin SL-30) in the panel. I had a Yaesu handheld that went TU, and bought a Sporty's PJ2 to replace it because figuring out the Yaesu's (or ICOM's) menu when I just need to talk to somebody in a hurry was a big hassle. My headset plugs directly into the PJ2, and frequency input is by keypad without even having to push an "enter" key. It also has flip-flop toggle between two frequencies, but no damn menus to figure out! At $199 it's pretty reasonably priced, and works great with the rubber duck within five miles or so of an airport.

I carry one on any instrument or night flight. Not so much during the day. I don’t like being one major electrical failure away from either death or an extremely tense time.

Back