Why didn't Amelia, Jerrie Mock, and Lindbergh use floatplanes?

txflyer

I'm wondering why these aviation giants did not use amphibians or flying boats on a mostly over water trek?

Mock could have used a Cessna 180 on floats, and I assume a Lockheed Electra could be set up on floats. I don't know enough about Lindbergh's era what he could have used.

Curious minds want to know ... :dunno:

I overlooked this flight, from a Wikipedia page with a long list of historic circumnavigations:
In 1932, Wolfgang von Gronau flew around the world in a twin-engine Dornier seaplane, Gronland-Wal D-2053, in nearly four months, making 44 stops en route. He was accompanied by co-pilot Gerth von Roth, mechanic Franzl Hack, and radio operator Frtiz Albrecht.[12]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_circumnavigations#Aircraft

Having floats <> Being able to land anywhere on the water.

Floats lets planes land in relatively calm waters like lakes and bays. They aren't really suitable for open-ocean landings, depending on the wave heights. Even the big flying boats generally didn't land in open waters; some examples of Catalinas during WWII, but they were unusual. NC-1 landed in rough seas in 1919 and got damaged, eventually scuttled. As Jim mentioned, they had floats for the Douglas World Cruisers, but switched back and forth during the trip. Boston did a forced landing on the Atlantic. Got down safely, but again, they were forced to scuttle the airplane.

Bob Dempster built a full-size replica of a Douglas World Cruiser, complete with Liberty engine. He intends to duplicate the 1924 flight, complete with floats on the appropriate legs.
1688532260996.png

Normally, probably better off without floats...flying faster means you're out of the danger area quicker. Good raft would be a decent compromise. Buoyancy compartments in the airframe to let it float longer, make it less than a panic.

Ron Wanttaja

Having floats <> Being able to land anywhere on the water.

Floats lets planes land in relatively calm waters like lakes and bays. They aren't really suitable for open-ocean landings, depending on the wave heights. Even the big flying boats generally didn't land in open waters; some examples of Catalinas during WWII, but they were unusual. NC-1 landed in rough seas in 1919 and got damaged, eventually scuttled. As Jim mentioned, they had floats for the Douglas World Cruisers, but switched back and forth during the trip. Boston did a forced landing on the Atlantic. Got down safely, but again, they were forced to scuttle the airplane.

Bob Dempster built a full-size replica of a Douglas World Cruiser, complete with Liberty engine. He intends to duplicate the 1924 flight, complete with floats on the appropriate legs.
View attachment 447

Normally, probably better off without floats...flying faster means you're out of the danger area quicker. Good raft would be a decent compromise. Buoyancy compartments in the airframe to let it float longer, make it less than a panic.

Ron Wanttaja
That's pretty cool to see!

Back