CFI Shennanigans - How does your CFI distract you during lessons?

Posted this thread on another pilot site because at the time I was pre-solo and my instructor was putting me through a bunch of "tests" where he would do everything in his power to distract me in the pattern.

If you are a CFI - what do you like to do to distract your students?

If you are a student, what does your CFI do to you?

Here are (only some) of my favorites - done to me by my CFI:

- Slowly increasing the volume inside my ears / headset over the intercom of a Giants game on the AM radio and trying to convince me I was hearing voices inside my head as it got louder and of course I did not at first realize what was going on (we fly mostly in silence out of an untowered airport which is not busy).

- Pulling my seat out from under me (no I did not know it was him, we'd had issues with the Cessna seats on the ground during taxi). He pulled my seat back when I wasn't looking at the most dangerous time.... right after rotation. I flew back towards the back of the plane (I'm 5'6") and then couldn't reach the controls. Apparently he was trying to see how I handled mini emergencies and if I would use the yoke to pull myself back forward as I guess some students do. (No I did not do that, I got back up and was just fine)

- Silly comments on short final about mountains or sheep or unrelated topics when I'm trying to concentrate on my landing

You get the idea. I look forward to hearing your stories!

If my CFI or the DPE who tested me had been trying to distract me during training or the check flight, I guess I was either too dense to notice or I'm not easily distracted (probably both.)

Back