FAA guidance on Flight instruction LODA in category aircraft. . . update July 8th

Half Fast said:
Why? Because the approach they took opened a large can of worms and requires them to go through 4 years of exemptions and LODAs and re-write a regulation, and now has Congress critters introducing legislation to change their regs for them. Dumb move.
The only part of this which is not in the self interest of bureaucrats working at the FAA is the Congress critters intervening. Other than that, more work for all departments concerned, larger staffs, and larger salaries and pensions. What’s not to like?

As Von Mises noted in “Bureaucracy”, all the incentives point in the wrong direction for these people.

Doc Holliday said:
I can’t imagine anyone in the agency was overly excited about this. But, it was handed to them, they fixed it in the least painful way for the public and will now let the higher ups come up with a fix.
Isn’t the FAA the agency which pursued this case resulting in the ruling requiring this?

Salty said:
We’d be safer and far better off if this hadn’t happened and the operator wasn’t shut down. This did far more to decrease safety than shutting down that one guy would have done.
Yes, this is the problem with broad regulatory approaches to problems of this type.

It tends to injure a lot more people than the actual malefactors.

Palmpilot said:
After the B-17 that went down, I think it would be tough to sell that view to the FAA.
Perhaps. The American people have a hard time actually thinking rationally about risks.

Here is my take on the fundamentals of this issue, which I know many here will disagree with. But it is the reason I regard arguments about who is the worse actor here as less important.

I believe it is wrong to try and coerce peaceful people to try and make them do something they otherwise would not choose to do. It is also wrong to defraud them for the same purpose.

So we have the FAA regulators who are trying to coerce people and prevent them from flying in a manner that the people would choose to which does not endanger other innocent people to any greater degree than normal activities of daily living.

We then have the operator who may have been involved in defrauding passengers.

Both bad actors in my view.

Frankly I prefer the common law approach of suing and arresting people after they commit torts, frauds and crimes, rather than trying to predict who might do so in the future. Obviously there are cases of clear and imminent danger, but most flying activities don’t fall into that category.

Back