IFR Training - instructor and plane options

CMagnus

I recently passed the IFR Written, and looking for an IFR Instructor. I have met with an instructor through a flying club, but I have some concerns... 1-not familiar with foreflight, 2-military flight background (vs GA), 3-(Biggest concern) I would be their first student.
My instinct is to find another instructor that is experienced and had success with IFR checkride passes. I would appreciate opinions/experiences on this.
Also - I have the option to train in a basic IFR plane (VORs, DME, GNC 355), or one with more advanced avionics (Aspen PFD/MFD, dual G430Ws, etc) and autopilot. What are pros/cons of each? My thought is that the basic setup would be easier to learn and pass the IFR checkride, however proficiency with the advanced avionics would be more beneficial and safer in the long run. (of course I could pass the IFR checkride with the basic plane, and then get instruction on the advanced).
Thanks in advance for the input!

SixPapaCharlie said:
Weird. I was my primary's first as well. I didn't know it until after the fact but I had a hunch.
In hindsight, There are a few things that were not covered as well as they should have been.
But did they give rise to humorous incidents?

Back