Interesting Avweb comment

iflyforfun

In discussing AOPA Summit on Avweb, Thomas Yarsley makes a really interesting comment. At a post air-show hanger party, he says they had their own mini-Summit. His comment:

"One consensus: 2020 is a looming A-bomb for GA. Most who spoke agreed that fully 50% of the existing GA fleet - and some associated percentage of GA pilots - will become "retired" in 2020 when the ADSB rules kick in, unless....

Unless one or more of the avionics manufacturers comes up with an affordable (read: <$6k, installed) one-box solution for meeting the requirements. And unless the FAA allows the industry to do it (STC, 337s, etc.). The "one-box" would have to include a glass 6-pack replacement (with all supporting sensors), a WAAS GPS, ADS-B in and out, blind encoder, and ELT."

Seems pretty spot on to me. In the next 6-7 years, we're looking at a great majority of the fleet facing a significant upgrade to stay functional for anything other than Sunday morning flying.

The traditional Garmin approach of bringing a $15k solution (plus installation) to the party will effectively kill a significant portion of the fleet. Heck, we joke that the G430 is ubiquitous, but looking at Barnstormers, a LOT of the fleet doesn't currently have a GPS that can be upgraded to WAAS ... and the 430 has already been abandoned.

I'm wondering if this represents a unique opportunity for someone like Dynon. They've built their entire business model around value for the dollar. This has forced them to focus on the experimental market because "value" and "certified" simply haven't fit in the same sentence. That said, pre-2020 all Dynon type upgrades were effectively optional. Come 2020, not so much the truth.

In addition to the avionics, Dynon has at least a start on the radio work.

Another potential player might be Aspen. They've brought out some really impressive products when you consider the certification hurdle they faced as well as the cost of competing commercial product.

What seems to always be the killer is the ABSURD certification expenses. I wonder if a real role for AOPA over the next 5 years could be on developing a streamlines certification solution that would address cost of complying with the ADSB mandate. Additionally, I believe there is a real need to address STC for installation (maybe, maybe not ... I'm no expert).

Anyway, with the headwinds that GA is facing, this really is another BIG problem. Our traditional industry response I don't think will address this ... we need to find another way to keep 40-50 year old planes (worth $25k-$35k) flying when the mandate hits. Without some type of innovative approach, I agree with Thomas that we'll see a significant portion of the fleet effectively grounded.

Thoughts?

In discussing AOPA Summit on Avweb, Thomas Yarsley makes a really interesting comment. At a post air-show hanger party, he says they had their own mini-Summit. His comment:

"One consensus: 2020 is a looming A-bomb for GA. Most who spoke agreed that fully 50% of the existing GA fleet - and some associated percentage of GA pilots - will become "retired" in 2020 when the ADSB rules kick in, unless....

Unless one or more of the avionics manufacturers comes up with an affordable (read: <$6k, installed) one-box solution for meeting the requirements. And unless the FAA allows the industry to do it (STC, 337s, etc.). The "one-box" would have to include a glass 6-pack replacement (with all supporting sensors), a WAAS GPS, ADS-B in and out, blind encoder, and ELT."

Seems pretty spot on to me.
Seems totally off track to me.

NavWorx is selling an ADS-B transceiver today for $2600. That leaves a hefty $3400 for labor, wire, and bandages while still being under the invented $6k limit.

Where in bloody heck did the rest of those so-called requiements spring? They must have been mighty hammered at that party to see anything in the ADS-B regulations that called for replacing any flight instruments.

ADS-B is expensive nonsense, but not that expensive.

douglas393 said:
Why would the FAA mandates make the present 6 pack obsolete. As far as tha ADS-B requirements, why would not a I-Pad or equivalent pad married to an ADS-B receiver which is already available or a free standing hand held device such as a Garmin 796, 696, etc married to a ADS-B receiver, or with a receiver already in the device not be good enough. I guess I am missing something because I would think at least for VFR flights these devices may suffice.

Doug
You and I must both be missing something. Beats me how the ADS-B requirement somehow bled off into requiring replacement of even a single flight instrument.

iflyforfun said:
Maybe I'm way off. Do you or do you not need a WAAS GPS coupled to your ADS-B for the OUT portion of your reporting?

We can get weather for free, but it is the out part that is killer ... yes or no?
The GNSS WAAS requirement is the only problematic issue - and as I tried to point out, the NavWorx product price includes that. The MITRE Corporation developed an ADS-B transceiver (no WAAS I believe) with material costs of $400 back in 2009. (According to their technical paper here: http://www.mitre.org/work/tech_papers/tech_papers_09/09_1060/09_1060.pdf)

Anyway, I pointed out in this thread (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52266) that in theory a renter could today buy a complete ADS-B system (in and out) for $3300.

I do not know how many IFR equipped airplanes are out there that are valued under $20k (all I can find are trainers) so I suppose those would have less value in 2020. It isn't as if they would be banned from flying, though.

Anthony said:
Guess it doesn't change the NORDO part, but if you want to fly anything in controlled airspace it sounds at this point the expense may be prohibitive enough to stop some from taking the plunge.
ADS-B out is not mandated in all controlled airspace. See below for actual airspace requirements.

Suppose the ADS-B out mandate began a year ago. Where have you flown in the past year that you would have not been able to fly had the mandate been operational? I can think of only one time the mandate might have affected me. Others no doubt would have been grounded for the entire period.
"This final rule prescribes ADS–B Out performance requirements for all aircraft operating in Class A, B, and C airspace within the NAS; above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of a Class B or Class C airspace area up to 10,000 feet mean sea level (MSL); and Class E airspace areas at or above 10,000 feet MSL over the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface.

The rule also requires that aircraft meet these performance requirements in the airspace within 30 nautical miles (NM) of certain identified airports 8 that are among the nation’s busiest (based on annual passenger enplanements, annual airport operations count, and operational complexity) from the surface up to 10,000 feet MSL. In addition, the rule requires that aircraft meet ADS–B Out performance requirements to operate in Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico at and above 3,000 feet MSL within 12 NM of the coastline of the United States."

Bob Noel said:
The UAT includes the nav source?
Yes. That info is in the NavWorx product description web page previously linked to.

Physical
Height: 2.3 inches (installed with mounting brackets)
Width: 6.1 inches
Depth: 5.5 inches
Weight: 1.6 lbs. (with mounting bracket, excluding cables)
Electrical
Voltage: 9-36VDC
Input Current (10W nominal): 0.7A @ 14VDC, 0.41A @ 24VDC
UAT Performance
Regulatory: DO-282B
Frequency: 978MHz
Tolerance: +/- 20ppm
Data Rate: 1.04Mbps
Receiver Sensitivity: 90% MSR @ -95dBm
Transmit Power: 40W nominal at antenna
Equipment Class: A1S (single bottom UAT antenna)
GPS/WAAS Receiver Performance
Number of channels: 20
Frequency: 1575.42 MHz L1
Sensitivity: -159 dBm (tracking mode)
-142 dBm (Acquisition mode)
TIFF Hot (valid almanac, position, time & ephemeris): 1 second
TIFF Warm (valid almanac, position & time): < 35 seconds
TIFF Cold (valid almanac): < 35 seconds
Reacquisition (10s obstruction): 0.1 seconds
Position Update Interval: 5 Hz
Velocity: 1000Kts maximum @ 60,000 ft MSL
Datum: WGS-84

Bob Noel said:
Not yet.

http://www.navworx.com/

"The ADS600-B™ is currently undergoing TSO-C154c certification."

The two receiver products say "designed to .... standards" but no word on certification.
I don't think you can read too much into that because even Garmin's equivalent ADS-B transceivers haven't received TSO certification from the FAA. Garmin released a PR piece this July that announced their GDL 88 transceiver whose product web page still says "TSO pending". Sarasota Avionics lists the GDL 88 with an internal GPS/WAAS as being eventually available at $4989 ($3489 without internal GPS/WAAS.) So that establishes the current Garmin price point; about 50% more than NavWorx.

n12365 said:
No mode-s or 1090ES requirement for flights outside of class A airspace. If you use a UAT to meet the ADS-B Out requirement, you can use a mode-C transponder to meet the existing transponder requirements.
As far as I can tell, neither the EU or the Canadians have adopted the UAT technology. I believe that is specific to the U.S. So aircraft equipped with only UAT out would presumably not be legal in certain areas of their air spaces.

EU ADS-B final rule:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:305:0035:0052:EN:pDF

Nav Canada ADS-B info:
http://www.navcanada.ca/navcanada.asp?language=en&content=contentdefinitionfiles%5Cservices%5Cansprograms%5Cads-b%5Cdefault.xml

Back