Mental Health & Class 3

JN863

Hi there!

Like a dummy I started flying lessons and got hooked on it, but now I have some concerns when it comes to seeking a Class 3 medical. I have a concern and I would like an opinion to decide if it is worth chasing a 3rd class medical at all. I have a few medical issues that I feel okay with as they are being managed with my primary doctor, but the item that sticks out as a major concern is depression and the use of SSRI. I was diagnosed with PTSD and depression in 2017 while in the military. For clarity, I HAVE NOT submitted anything on MedXpress yet, so LSA is always an option but I really do have my heart set on becoming a private pilot and working towards and instrument rating.

For context, I was outed during the "Don't ask don't tell" era and was nearly kicked out of the Army during a deployment to Iraq, lived with the regret of someone getting hurt because they took my place because of the whole snafu, and upon my return from Iraq, I was sexually assaulted in the barracks. I ended up not getting kicked out of the military, and I have borne the weight of that trauma for about a decade before finally getting the treatment I needed well after "Don't ask don't tell" was repealed.

So that leaves me to the present day... am I screwed? After reviewing the initial SSRI certification/clearance, I see that I would need my psychiatrist to produce a report that specifically addresses "rule-outs". How strict are the rule-outs?

When I first started seeing a psychiatrist in 2017, there was the initial phase where we were finding out what medication would work best. We tried hydroxyzine, sertraline, and eventually gave Wellbutrin a try. At one time hydroxyzine and sertraline were used at the same time. Ultimately, we settled on sertraline, and I have been on a steady dose for quite some time. Does this qualify as having a "history of treatment with multiple antidepressants concurrently"? I'm wondering if the rule-out is intended to be black and white in regards to exclusionary criteria or if the FAA just wants to know if there is a history, and if so, explain that history.

I have a similar concern with a "history of suicidal ideation or attempts". In 2018 I started Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) to address my PTSD, and we were revisiting a lot of subjects that unfortunately put me back in a dark place. While there is no direct observation or notation of suicidal ideation, during the CPT program, there are several remarks in my chart along the lines of:

"No HI [homicidal ideation] was reported or observed. The Veteran acknowledged some passive, transient SI [suicidal ideation] in the form of thoughts that he would be better off dead, but he denied any plans/intent to commit suicide & was future-focused."

"He expressed that he feels "depressed" most of the time and that this has contributed to some transitory, passive suicidal ideation (e.g., thinking about what his funeral would be like.) However, he denies any current plans or intent to commit suicide. No HI was reported or observed."

Will the FAA even consider my application with these kinds of remarks on my record with the understanding that this was years ago and I have gotten therapy for, or is it a hard no at this point? I'm hoping it's something they just want clarification on and not the latter where it's an automatic denial.

I actually have an appointment with my psychiatrist next month, and we will start the conversation about tapering off and eventually weaning of the sertraline. I know there is an observation period that must follow before I could even consider attempting SSRI Path I, but with the history I have, is Path I even an option if my doc thinks I'm ready to work the SSRI out of my care plan? I am seriously hoping that the rule-outs are not black and white and that the folks that review my packet understand that I have been working hard on tackling these issues since 2017.

I appreciate any insight you can provide me.

And possibly see my FAA medical page for some further discussion about this. http://faamed.info .

As noted, you will need to work with a senior HIMS AME on this case. If possible, figure 6-12 months of work and $5-10k in fees.

You can start flying in a number of other ways in the meantime.

Back