Not another DUI post...

SGonz

Alright. Here we go. I am a mother, an economics student, and someone who wanted to pursue a PPL for recreation. When I was 17, I had too many drinks, was overly confident, got behind the wheel, and got a DUI. It was dismissed and expunged. I completely ****ed up, and this is something I blame no one but “me” for. Expunges don’t matter to the FAA, they’re looking at your history to build and accurate picture of the “now” you.

Fast forward 11 years to a much more complex situation. During a gray area of the pandemic in 2020 (which provided some loopholes for businesses to operate), a restaurant/bar opened up in my town in Texas. It was controversial as everything else was closed. Some friends were coming in from out of town, and we all decided to go to this new trendy place. I was there an hour and had a total of TWO drinks, planning to go directly home to my mom who was babysitting for me. This is where the situation goes sour. At some point, I am getting a knock at my window. It’s the police. I am incoherent, don’t know where I am, I can hardly get out of the car. I have thrown up in my car and on myself (I do not typically throw up). They asked me how much I’ve had to drink— I said two drinks, how is this possible, have I been drugged? Long story short, I am attested, bailed out, hiring a DUI attorney, etc. The narrative I’m working with with my attorney is that I’ve most likely been drugged, and the toxicology report should show this (I gave a blood sample). I’ve forgiven myself and consider myself basically a victim in this otherwise humiliating experience. Three weeks later, rumors start flying around about this “new place”. A local sorority girl has seized and been hospitalized after 3 drinks there, and is told that the officials have seen 5 similar cases in 21 days, everyone having left that restaurant. It is believed that they are actually manufacturing their own alcohol, and using methanol as a part of their manufacturing. Methanol, in small amounts, can kill someone. It is why people in Mexico on vacation find themselves drowned in a pool after “some drinks”. It paralyzes you. It messes you up. Of course upon reading this, everything clicks right away and I am almost in tears at the relief, and shame washing away, especially after it being my 2nd DUI arrest, even though I was well within legal limits. At this time, this place is apparently under investigation but not able to be shut down.

Fast forward to half a year. I’ve pulled away from social settings, and have focused myself on school, and getting a pilots license. My grandparents flew, my grandma was in the 99’s club for women aviators, and I’m excited to pursue something I’ve always wanted to do. On the week of my 3rd class medical, I find out that my BAC for my recent arrest was .215. Of course, I have no tolerance up to a .215. A .215 would imply that I had 10 drinks in an hour. I was absolutely incoherent, I was passed out in my car. With methanol, you’ve consumed it, and in about 30 minutes the effects are kicking in full swing. So I’ve literally walked to my car, and by the time I’m almost home, I’m inebriated beyond belief. There is no “whoa, I feel weird, I better pull over”. It’s like, I was just having a drink and that’s literally the last thing I remember. All this being said, I fear that the FAA is going to take one GLANCE at this and dismiss. The only person that has any proof of this narrative right now is me, because I’m the one this has happened to. I don’t have any written statements or cases from the other victims of this operation. All I have is the information that I’ve given to my lawyer, and pending case against me. Also, in the case that my lawyer does get this case handled and dismissed, they’re still going to see the fact that I blew a .215, and it seems that that’s the only thing that the FAA actually cares about. I think had the second incident not happened, they would’ve taken a look at my old, single DUI, had me fill out some paperwork and I would’ve gone about my way. But the fact that there’s this second arrest paired WITH the first, and it looks terrible. Is the FAA going to be willing to listen to what actually happened, look at the first DUI, see that I’ve never been in any other legal trouble and have a spotless record otherwise, and that this second incident was a freak accident and not indicative of a substance abuse problem? Thanks in advanced. I feel like this is a very weird circumstance and that I’m alone with my word right now until the case moves along.

I got my AME exam today and it was deferred.

Sorry you had your AME exam and were deferred. You will now have to do the whole HIMS song and dance and may have cut off some other, but not all, avenues for flying.

Perhaps see my FAA medical information page for more information about this. http://tinyurl.com/faaMedicalInfo

If you can document the drugging and so on and the history, the FAA will probably listen, but it will be a long haul and cost lots of money. You likely need to get a senior HIMS AME on the case. See links on the page.

Back