Request for an overhead question

MachFly

I'm trying to come with the best phraseology to request an overhead break approach from a civilian controller (at a class D airport). I want it to be as short as possible but I also want to be clearly understood.
I posted 4 options in the poll that I have tried using and they all worked, however I tried them all at my home airport and the controller recognizes me and knows what I'm going to ask (been doing it for a while now). Please select your favorite out of the four or "other" if you think there is a better way to phrase the request.

Thanks

P.S. Lets try not to turn this into a "whether an overhead is a good idea or not" discussion as we already have quite a few threads about it.

Given that the AIM uses the term "Overhead Approach Maneuver" or just "overhead maneuver" in the body of the text of 5-4-26 (but never just "overhead approach") - and unless there is some reason you want to request a specific runway rather than leaving that up to the controller - I would think either of the following would be concise and sufficient:

"... requesting overhead approach maneuver."

or

"... requesting overhead maneuver."

MachFly said:
I actually thought about that one and it just wounds weird. If the controlled is indeed familiar with the overhead would it be possible that he wont understand it because the word "maneuver" is missing? But if he's not familiar with the overhead, the word "maneuver" wont help him much.
What do you think?
I suspect the word "approach" is actually redundant, since context has presumably established that you intend to approach for landing. If we then toss out "maneuver" then all that is left is "... requesting overhead." The controller would then assume you were requesting an overhead projector so as to display PowerPoint slides.

Seriously I don't know what controllers are taught - nothing on the web seems to provide clarity on pilot phraesology. I would assume they should be able to handle the request in any of the forms you provided. Worse case is you have to rephrase using one of the alternates.

Back