Student Pilot in trouble

Hello,

I am a current ATC student attending a CTI school with the ultimate goal of working for the FAA. One of the requirements at the school is to earn a PPL. Unfortunately, over Super Bowl weekend I was arrested and charged with DUI (early FEB 2013). To make matters worse, I for whatever reason opted not to blow on the breathlyzer. My license has not yet been suspended, and my hearing was just pushed back to mid-April by my attorney. He is appealing the one year license suspension due to refusal to blow. Again, no administrative actions have been taken against my driving priviledge as of now.

My questions are: Do I need to send a report to the FAA only from the date of any admin action or do they count the arrest itself as something reportable? Also, I am still working towards the PPL since the only thing that has effectively happened right now is the arrest. I plan to send a report as soon as I actually lose my license. On the FAA and ATC side of things, what am I realistically facing and are my hopes of an ATC career gone?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I know I made a seriously bad judgement call so this is really quite embarassing for me

geneseib said:
How can you describe the choice to break the law and put people's lives in danger as a "judgement call"?
Alcohol can impair judgement. It is definitely shown to lower inhibitions. After drinking you need to exercise good judgement to get home but ironically your ability to do so is at a low ebb when you need it most. With experience it is possible to learn to exercise good judgement even while inebriated, but that is also another Catch-22 when you are young and inexperienced. The inexperienced are also least likely to know when they are drunk or just a little "buzzed".

Obviously repeatedly making the same mistake indicates a personality problem, not an alcohol induced one.

Unregistered said:
I feel I should mention, I am 25, first offense, and combat veteran (got out June 2012).
Thank you for your service.

Don't give up. Since this happened early February you should still be within the 60 day window to report the arrest.

I'll have to take the word of others regarding your continued chances on ATC employment, but I believe you still have options in aviation, including commercial piloting. Suggest you mentally segregate the judgements offered from the advice on bureaucratic actions to take that Bruce and others have provided and go forward with the actions.

Back