What is the best thing to tell ATC after hearing - Caution Wake Turbulence

JasonM

That thread on the helicopter got me thinking as well as another video of a small plane being pushed into a Bravo airport. What if I feel like being overly cautious. Whats the best way to tell them you want to wait a few minutes to land?

EdFred said:
True. I would have said wake turbulence was at least 3rd grade level stuff. :D
The pilots of about 61% of the aircraft accidents caused by wake turbulence held commercial or ATP certificates, which appears to be a larger proportion of accidents than would occur if randomly selected from the population of all pilot certificates held during the statistical measuring period (1983 - 2000). [Witty comment as to their grade level would go here if I could only think of one.]

"Data show that 50 (38 percent) of the 130 pilots-in-command (PICs) of the accident aircraft held commercial pilot certificates, and 30 PICs (23 percent) held airline transport pilot (ATP) certificates (Table 8). Of the 50 PICs with commercial pilot certificates, 20 PICs had been cautioned about wake turbulence by ATC. Of the 30 PICs with ATP certificates, six PICs had been cautioned about wake turbulence by ATC. Pilots with private pilot certificates flew the trailing aircraft in 36 (28 percent) of the 130 accidents; 12 pilots had been cautioned about wake turbulence. Of 14 student pilots (11 percent) who flew the trailing aircraft in wake-turbulence accidents, seven pilots had been cautioned about wake turbulence."
Source:
http://flightsafety.org/fsd/fsd_mar-apr02.pdf

P.S. The above document has more statistical info on wake turbulence accidents and incidents than you can shake a wind sock at.

Back