Alcohol withdrawal delirium (hallucinations)

GregOrtiz

Hello all,

I'm 34 and I'm trying to become a professional pilot. Last month I applied for a 1st class Medical and stated that I had to be hospitalized for alcohol withdrawal delirium. Long story short, me and some buddies drank in excess for over 3 weeks. The withdraws were terrible and I had to remain in the hospital for 72 dues to to mild hallucinations. Besides that, I've never been in any legal trouble or anything. Last night I received a denial letter and was told I would need to find a HIMS AME to begin what seems like a tedious process. Can I fight this? It doesn't seem like the government should have the ability to force me to spend $10,000 on a bunch of neurological tests for a incident that occurred years ago.

Tarheelpilot said:
The government has established there is no right to air travel. They grant access to the sky at their discretion and can do about whatever the hell they want.
Certainly they have held that. Not certain they determine what people’s rights are... but they have the power presently to enforce their interpretation :emoji17:

Specifically in this case and regardless of anyone’s rights, I tend to agree with the prior posters. These symptoms indicate an alcohol abuse problem, at least in the past.

Follow Dr. Chien’s advice if you want to be able to fly.

Back