FAA shutdown may last through August

kkoran said:
Because the children in Congress can't get along. I wonder how many House members flew home to their districts tonight?
Who keeps putting them into office? I think perhaps you are shooting at the wrong target.

(If Babbitt had any balls he would have shut down ATC services. That would have gotten their attention.)

DavidWhite said:
We should put all the congressman/congresswoman on a boat and send them out to sea. Then vote in some new ones.
The other option is to take the politicians out of the funding decisions completely by getting funding directly from the users of the system. However, that means "user fees" and a lot of people reading this would object to that - indeed it is likely that organized objections have prevented such a system from happening in the U.S.

I have no experience flying in Canada where ATC was privatized into Nav Canada and whose funding isn't subject to political bickering. Is it that bad that it is to be avoided at all costs - such as the cost now?

weilke said:
I deal with states in the area of regulation. Here's a secret: They stink at regulating stuff.
A poorly kept secret. Another poorly kept secret: on the federal level the stink is made uniform from coast to coast.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe said:
So, like, exacty what parts of the FAA are shut down? Can I go for a joy ride in a big fast airplane like a Cessna 152 without worrying about a ramp check?

(Just asking, not doing)
You will still not be allowed to take a joy ride in a big fast Cessna 152. Your double in an alternate reality where Cessna 152s are big and fast, however, will have that luxury. Of course in that alternate reality all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average. No ramp checks, either.

Back