Flying without license/insurance?

PoppaJimmy

A couple of times I've read things on this forum which seem to mention in passing that there were people flying without licenses, or who are licensed but without insurance. Neither of these had ever occurred to me before so, I thought I'd ask.

1. Is there a significant number of people flying without licenses?

2. What is the situation with people flying without insurance? Yes, No? Good, Bad?

I hope I don't sound like I'm either judging or recommending anything here. This is purely for my own information because I truly have no idea. Thanks.

Be Well,

Jimmy

gismo said:
Personally I believe such an attitude is both selfish and unfair. What you're basically saying is that you expect others to cover the cost of any damage or injury you cause. I strongly believe that you should carry a reasonable amount of liability insurance for any airplane (or other vehicle capable of inflicting significant damage or harm). BTW many if not most states require this which makes me wonder if you might even be held criminally responsible (jail time) if you have an accident and have no liability insurance at all.

Are you aware that liability coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to hull protection?
The operational definition of liability insurance does expect others to cover the cost of any damage or injury you cause. Having insurance merely modifies some of the at-risk population - it doesn't do anything to actually change the level of risk.

The charge of "unfairness" is somewhat perverse, considering that liability insurance is a relatively modern concept and technically can be said to promote risky actions by reducing the negative consequences.

Back