Flying pictures worth sharing.

PilotDave

We have to have one. This is from my last time out of the shed. Sierra Nevada mountains on the way to coastal California.

78669D3C-41CC-4E76-8CEA-63BCD38E5BC3.jpeg

Modest suggestion: edit the first post's thread title to something like "Cool aviation pictures..."
Reason: Gives a hint that the thread is under Flight Following and that the pictures should have some redeeming value, and lastly no point in trying to limit to one picture a day.
On the other hand, the suggestion is probably overly pedantic so feel free to ignore my suggestion.

Modest suggestion: edit the first post's thread title to something like "Cool aviation pictures..."
Reason: Gives a hint that the thread is under Flight Following and that the pictures should have some redeeming value, and lastly no point in trying to limit to one picture a day.
On the other hand, the suggestion is probably overly pedantic so feel free to ignore my suggestion.
You should attach a picture. I’m sure you have a few worth sharing ;-)

This is an airport/racetrack not too far from my home field. The straight section behind the line of trees in the middle of the photo (taken from my plane) doubles as a runway when the track is not in use. It's in use in the pic, so I didn't land.. ;)

RaceTrackMtnTop.jpg

...and this is a pic of our marina with my other obsession/charity-case/renovation project. Like my PA28-140 which I slowly brought back to life over the years, the arrow points to a Pearson 26 plastic-classic we renovated over the past 8 years or so...

YouAre Here.jpg

The Oregon Cascades are, I believe, mostly volcanic in origin while its southern sister range of the Sierra Nevada is mostly due to continental plate uplift or buckling. Anyhoo, these are north of PilotDave's route.

These first two were taken west-bound just north of the Three Sisters mountains of the Oregon Cascades. Date: April 21, 2017 at about 4:24 PM local time.

The second two were taken south-south east bound and are of Crater Lake. Date: November 22, 2013 at about 2:00 PM local time.

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG

...and this is a pic of our marina with my other obsession/charity-case/renovation project. Like my PA28-140 which I slowly brought back to life over the years, the arrow points to a Pearson 26 plastic-classic we renovated over the past 8 years or so...
You’re into sailing too? We had a Cal 28 for many years. We sold it and bought a plane when we figured out instead of 8 hours just to cross the sound we could fly half way across the state in 90 minutes. ;)

You’re into sailing too? We had a Cal 28 for many years. We sold it and bought a plane when we figured out instead of 8 hours just to cross the sound we could fly half way across the state in 90 minutes. ;)
Very nice boat, the Cal 28. Sailing and flying have much in common, as I'm sure you know... and both can be hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. I do like the quiet of sailing and the smell of all the fresh air, compared to the confines and noise of a plane's cockpit, but there is NOTHING like leaving the ground and gaining a bird's-eye perspective of this gorgeous world. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never really used either the plane or the sailboat for anything approaching practical transportation, so the difference in travel speed was never a factor for us. NOT using the plane much for actual trips to destinations prior to selling it is one of my biggest regrets, and I hope to eventually rectify that.

Very nice boat, the Cal 28. Sailing and flying have much in common, as I'm sure you know... and both can be hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. I do like the quiet of sailing and the smell of all the fresh air, compared to the confines and noise of a plane's cockpit, but there is NOTHING like leaving the ground and gaining a bird's-eye perspective of this gorgeous world.

Agree completely.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never really used either the plane or the sailboat for anything approaching practical transportation, so the difference in travel speed was never a factor for us. NOT using the plane much for actual trips to destinations prior to selling it is one of my biggest regrets, and I hope to eventually rectify that.

We used the planes for nothing but practical transportation except when we went up to watch fireworks from the air. (Underwhelming.) The boat was just to be on the water. It was more relaxing, the person not on the wheel could cook lunch, nap on an actual bed, and move around the boat. It was about the journey. Didn’t really matter where we were going. The plane was to get somewhere but the journey itself was also the point in a completely different way but it had to be much shorter because of the passive confinement. Two completely different experiences.

That does look fun. What do you fly to there?
The PA28-140. It's longer than it looks in that pic... 3000' ... but due to the trees we always treat it like a short... very short.. field. It really isn't a problem, except that there's no place to land if you have an engine failure soon after takeoff. There's a nice trail in the woods with some good hunting for wild mushrooms.

Back