Flying pictures worth sharing.

Letchworth Village, an abandoned residential treatment center in Thiells, New York. This is the Reville Hospital building, where the polio vaccine was first tested on humans and where the cause of PKU was discovered.

reville-hospital-letchworth-village-1.jpg

reville-hospital-letchworth-village-2.jpg

reville-hospital-letchworth-village-3.jpg

reville-hospital-letchworth-village-4.jpg

reville-hospital-letchworth-village-5.jpg

Rich

Shoreline of Big Pond (that's the name of the lake) in Andes, New York.

big-pond-12-23-21-8.jpg

Frost on the trees in the morning in early winter.

frost-on-trees-early-morning-110621-1.jpg

The Hudson River near Kingston, New York.

hudson-river-in-winter.jpg

Ice fishing hut on Big Pond in Andes, New York.

ice-fishing-hut-on-big-pond-andes-ny.jpg

This is actually my favorite picture, but it has zero sales to date.

lone-evergreen-in-the-forest-in-snow.jpg

Rich

Not a picture, but a heads-up on graphics software.

I've been using Version 1 of the Afffinity suite ever since I spit in Adobe's eye and kicked them in the nuts for letting Fireworks die. Going subscription was bad enough, but letting Fireworks die was the unforgivable sin.

They just released V2, which I bought last night and used for production work today.

The introductory deal is USD $99.99 for all three programs, for Windows, MacOS, and iPad. I installed the Windows and iPad versions last night, with no pain at all. (I don't yet have a Mac, although I suspect there's one in my future.)

My personal opinion is that there is no better deal on professional (or at least prosumer) graphics and desktop publishing software. They do have a free trial if you haven't used it; but the introductory deal is time-limited, so it's a gamble.

Rich

Not a picture, but a heads-up on graphics software.

I've been using Version 1 of the Afffinity suite ever since I spit in Adobe's eye and kicked them in the nuts for letting Fireworks die. Going subscription was bad enough, but letting Fireworks die was the unforgivable sin.

They just released V2, which I bought last night and used for production work today.

The introductory deal is USD $99.99 for all three programs, for Windows, MacOS, and iPad. I installed the Windows and iPad versions last night, with no pain at all. (I don't yet have a Mac, although I suspect there's one in my future.)

My personal opinion is that there is no better deal on professional (or at least prosumer) graphics and desktop publishing software. They do have a free trial if you haven't used it; but the introductory deal is time-limited, so it's a gamble.

Rich
Nice timing on your post (for me anyway) because they support PDF/X4 output, which I coincidently need. So I bought it.

Nice timing on your post (for me anyway) because they support PDF/X4 output, which I coincidently need. So I bought it.
I'm glad for the happy coincidence.

It also supports .webp export, which is why I bought it. I was perfectly happy with V1, but I needed .webp. Now I don't have to process every image twice.

There are lots of other new features in V2, however. I'm using it right now to make macabre greeting cards for a new site I'm building.

Rich

This is actually a screenshot from a video of the return part of a drone flight. The venue is now a Buddhist retreat, but it was an educational camp for Japanese-American children some years back.

This past summer I was hired by a group of former campers to shoot footage for a documentary they're making of the camp and surroundings. This flight was actually to shoot a field nearby the camp that I couldn't shoot from anywhere else. I had to stand back near the tan house to maintain VLOS over the forest while I shot the other field.

I decided to let the camera run during the return trip even though it wasn't in the work order. It turned out to be one of the client's favorite clips. This frame was when I came out from above the canopy and over the clearing, right before I started the descent. At this point I am in the upper left corner of the parking lot. The landing pad is about 30 feet to the right.

vlcsnap-2022-08-13-11h35m13s339.jpg

This is another screencap from the same assignment. On this day the client wanted a pano showing the camp, and another nearby camp owned by the same owner at the time where there was a lake where the campers would fish. They would hike through the woods from one to the other.

Because of the forest canopy, there weren't too many places where I could get that shot and maintain VLOS. This was the best I could find. I basically ascended through the hole in the trees, took the pano, and descended. I couldn't do anything in the way of lateral movement, but none was necessary to get the footage.

paradise-camp-descent.jpg

Back