Flying pictures worth sharing.

The PA28-140. It's longer than it looks in that pic... 3000' ... but due to the trees we always treat it like a short... very short.. field. It really isn't a problem, except that there's no place to land if you have an engine failure soon after takeoff. There's a nice trail in the woods with some good hunting for wild mushrooms.

I bought a book and studied wild mushrooms but still too scared to trust myself identifying them.

Dallas isn't terribly scenic, but here's Fair Park with the State Fair of Texas opening this weekend.

RED_4311.JPG

I'm too chicken to fly out over the ocean like you did for the Ocracoke shot! Even flying over the sound was bothersome to me.
Yep, when we took off from Ocracoke we’d spiral up real high before we started out over the sound.

I had to look it up as I’d never heard of it before. After scanning the entire west coast with sky vector, I used my google-fu

Looks like a cool place to fly into

I had to look it up as I’d never heard of it before. After scanning the entire west coast with sky vector, I used my google-fu

Ocracoke? It is. Most of the beach is national park so it is unbuilt, and the village population is limited - they can’t build out. Busy tourist season but we preferred winter. For a while there it was our second home. Literally, we had a house there.

We've spent many, many trips tent camping on the OBX, both at Oregon Inlet, and down in the campground right near Billy Mitchell near Hatteras ...

Billy Mitchell

Although I've visited that airport and Kitty Hawk/FFA quite a few times, it was always during car trips; never flown into either. Billy Mitchell (like most of OBX) seems to be perpetually windy; right now it's reporting almost a direct crosswind at 7G15... which seems pretty mild compared to usual. Anyone have any experiences flying there?

The Outer Banks are one of our favorite places on earth... great relaxed family vibe (especially once you get away from the the Nags Head/Kitty Hawk area, but there's some fun to be had there, too.. Tortuga's Lie has great food, beer, and people) and beaches are never crowded as you head south. Only been to Ocracoke on three occasions... it sort of reminded me of a more southern Nantucket, kind of? Very beautiful.

Here's a few more, albeit not as professional or beautiful as the gorgeous pro pictures posted by others. First, more of a perspective shot on Beck's Grove...

BecksSmall.jpg

... and one of a portion of the east coast of Lake Ontario, with an inland pond (Sandy Pond/Sandy Creek area)...

LOntCoast2Small.JPG

.. and one turning to final at Hamilton VGC ... or maybe taken w/ zoom lens during a flyby.. don't remember..

VGC.jpg

.. and one more of a train we spotted while just flying around central NY state somewhere...

Train.jpg

We've spent many, many trips tent camping on the OBX, both at Oregon Inlet, and down in the campground right near Billy Mitchell near Hatteras ...

Billy Mitchell

Although I've visited that airport and Kitty Hawk/FFA quite a few times, it was always during car trips; never flown into either. Billy Mitchell (like most of OBX) seems to be perpetually windy; right now it's reporting almost a direct crosswind at 7G15... which seems pretty mild compared to usual. Anyone have any experiences flying there?

The Outer Banks are one of our favorite places on earth... great relaxed family vibe (especially once you get away from the the Nags Head/Kitty Hawk area, but there's some fun to be had there, too.. Tortuga's Lie has great food, beer, and people) and beaches are never crowded as you head south. Only been to Ocracoke on three occasions... it sort of reminded me of a more southern Nantucket, kind of? Very beautiful.

I think we flew into Billy Mitchell once but can't remember it's been so long, the kids were babies. Going to have to ask Mark. Maybe I'm dreaming.

W95 (Ocracoke) had a perpetual crosswind. My favorite landing of all time Mark did he had to use all his skill keeping it over the runway as we were tossed up and down and all around when finally the wheels were on the ground the kid in the back seat says "What was THAT?" And I said, "A great landing." (No damage, no injuries.) If it had been me flying we would have been upside down in the weeds.

I certainly didn't take this one (although I sure wish I had!), and it probably falls outside the intended purview of this thread, but still.... it's an amazing picture.... "The Pillars of Creation" in the Eagle Nebula, taken by the Hubble and Webb 'scopes, left and right respectively. Wow.
THUMB-4.jpg

The full image, from the Webb...

WEBB.jpg

..and the source article...

Webb article

Back