History of Aviation Gasoline

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
So I am reading an article about aviation fuel by Ogsten 1981, “A Short History of Aviation Gasoline Development, 1903—1980”.

Page 7 notes “This research led Midgely and Boyd to concentrate much of their investigation on the organo-metallic compounds. However, around 30,000 compounds of all types were screened and a large number subjected to engine tests. On December 9, 1921, the remarkable anti-knock properties of lead tetraethyl (Pb (C2H5)4 were discovered in an engine test, a discovery which must rank as the greatest single achievement in the development of gasoline fuels” 30,000 compounds screened. Wow, talk about persistence!

Last edited:
Thomas Midgley is a fascinating yet possibly tragic figure. Do you think Tetraethyllead as dangerous as I was told in grade school?

I have not looked in detail. But Paul Millner of CFO, who is sort of an aviation fuel expert, says that the effects on childrens’ IQ from the use of leaded fuel are concerning and real.

I have not looked in detail. But Paul Millner of CFO, who is sort of an aviation fuel expert, says that the effects on children's IQ from the use of leaded fuel are concerning and real.
Well, I was born during a period when leaded gas was very much the norm in cars which means I am one of those suffering from lower IQ. So please humor me, I gather that lead tends to mimic or possibly even inhibit the action of calcium as a regulator of cell function. Why would that not be temporary?

Found this review. It appears there are multiple neurotoxic effects of lead, many of which may be related to its mimicing calcium. The authors mention three primary types of effects -

"alterations in DNA and chromosomal integrity [26]; Pb direct interaction with proteins, especially with those presenting metal-binding sites due to its high electronegativity [26]; and alteration to cellular redox status considering that Pb can generate reactive oxygen species (ROS) simultaneously with depletion of antioxidants systems due to its high affinity for thiol groups [27]"

Back