How Southwest Airlines started

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
A nice writeup about how the old CAB regulation controlled how SWA came to be. It is mildly shocking in retrospect that the government used to tell airlines which routes they could fly and the prices -

Yeah, the regulation was and is pretty bad. Some have argued that 121 flying was nicer before deregulation, though my guess is that had more to do with the novelty of flying at the time and a better work ethic on the part of airline employees.

As well as perhaps the much higher prices. The only thing the airlines competed on was the quality of the dinner service and the attractiveness of the stewardesses.

As well as perhaps the much higher prices. The only thing the airlines competed on was the quality of the dinner service and the attractiveness of the stewardesses.
These days, the competition for the latter two bullet points would seem to be characterized as a "race to the bottom." I haven't been on a commercial flight since BCv ("Before Covid"), though...perhaps things have changed. However, as long as an airline can get me where they promised to take me, at the time they promised to do so (with exceptions made for weather, of course), I will happily trade attractiveness of flight crew and availability of edibles for low fares. Politeness and smiles are free, and always appreciated from crew and passengers alike.

Enjoyed the article; thanks for posting it. We need more people like Mr. Kelleher.

Last edited:
These days, the competition for the latter two bullet points would seem to be characterized as a "race to the bottom." I haven't been on a commercial flight since BCv ("Before Covid"), though...perhaps things have changed. However, as long as an airline can get me where they promised to take me, at the time they promised to do so (with exceptions made for weather, of course), I will happily trade attractiveness of flight crew and availability of edibles for low fares. Politeness and smiles are free, and always appreciated from crew and passengers alike.

Enjoyed the article; thanks for posting it. We need more people like Mr. Kelleher.
Yes things have changed, for the worse. They quit serving any food for a while there because “Covid”. And of course there was the whole mask misery.

I do want the good food and attractive flight crew back. Or rather friendly flight crew which I somehow associate with attractiveness. But I could live without it for lower fares. But what I want most is PERSONAL SPACE. The cramped area doesn’t allow any movement whatsoever, you cannot get something from your bag under the seat without intruding on your seat mate’s space. And they need to end seat reclining unless they move them so far apart the person in front of you doesn’t hover over your food and knock your iPad off your tray. That would give you leg room too.

The space thing is a direct result of competition for low price, again, a race to the bottom. I’m happy to pay $30 more for an inch more leg room but Biden came out and said that is RACIST of me. I’m a tall woman. The tiny amount of space you’re allowed is inhumane.

Back