new pilot questions

snoopyloopy

alright guys, i'm no newbie to forums. so i'm sure some of these have been answered before. feel free to skip the ones you feel are obvious....or maybe provide a link to relevant thread. i just didn't see many answers that really answered my questions so decided to create this thread to get them answered all in one spot. without further ado, here we go!

first, i'm sure a little background wouldn't hurt, so here it is. typical story here, i've been interested in flying since about the time i could stand up and see planes. i live in socal, so my parents would on occasion take me to the hill just south of the 105 and we'd watch airport ops from there. then i learned there was a space shuttle. as i got a little older, the interest in aviation waned a bit, especially after realizing that my parents actually did not have money to pay for flight lessons for me.

fast forward to about early 2008. i rediscovered an interest in aviation and astronautics and deviated from my psychology coursework to work on aero engineering material (but thanks to ca budget incompetency, i'm still stuck on prereqs three years later). then this past year, i decided if i'm gonna design the damn things, i might as well fly them too. so i looked into flight training and decided to enroll in a commercial flight degree program at a community college this past semester. there, i took private ground school then past the faa written about three weeks ago. now my plan is to start actual time building, first scheduled flight is for this thursday morning.

anyway, on to the questions:
will i have to redo my ground at the flight school even though i have the written done already?
i'm well aware that most people require between 50-70 hours of actual training time before being ready for check ride. and i know that most pvt is mostly about the sight picture. so is it bad to do some time on fsx (or x-plane) to attempt to keep skill up?
should i buy insurance and what levels would probably be adequate?
decent beginner headset? (which i'm sure is probably a dead horse...)
what should i stock in my flight bag? (aka what are the most essential things to buy and in what order? currently already have lax sectional/tac, e6b, plotter, 2011 far/aim, etc. from ground school.)
i joined aopa and they're perpetually trying to coax me into all their services. besides flight training magazine, which ones should i actually put my money in?
what funding options are out there beyond my back pocket?
why did the rooster cross the road? 👍

anyway, i think that jurst about covers it for now. if i have more questions, they'll most certainly pop up right here first. merci.

decent beginner headset? (which i'm sure is probably a dead horse...)
My CFI recommended the PCA ANR II headset to me because he said they do almost as well as his expensive Bose headsets and wishes he had known about them sooner:

http://www.pca.aero/detail/5984/Headsets/PCA/PCA-ANR-II/

I like them - but can't compare them to anything because I've yet to use anything else. The PCA ANR is basically a rebranded low cost ANR Lightspeed headset that Lightspeed once sold a few years back.

Back