Non-IFR Clearance into the flight levels

flyboy102

Here's a topic I've been wondering about (maybe you sailplane pilots can chime in):

How do gliders go about getting a clearance to soar above 18,000'? How is the request phrased to center, and what regs cover it?

On a related note, I'm interested in taking my airplane to its service ceiling of about 22,000', but it is not IFR certified. How likely is it that ATC would work with me for a clearance to spiral up in a localized area? How would you do this? Is there a set procedure? I'd imagine it might be similar to how the Flying Tiger flew time to climb runs...

On a related note, I'm interested in taking my airplane to its service ceiling of about 22,000', but it is not IFR certified. How likely is it that ATC would work with me for a clearance to spiral up in a localized area? How would you do this? Is there a set procedure? I'd imagine it might be similar to how the Flying Tiger flew time to climb runs...
Sec. 91.903 & 91.905 of the FARs provide a list of which rules can be waived. Operations in Class A airspace happens to be one of them. This appears to be the FAA form you must fill out to request a waiver:

http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa7711-2.pdf

Hope this helps (I've never done it; just found it via Google search.)

Back