Question about SI Renewal - Obtaining Documentation 60 Days Prior to Expiration

SI Renewal

Hi all, I have an SI that expires in November. It says "At least 60 days prior to the expiration of your medical certificate, you are required to obtain the following: [various documents]." It also says that my physical exam can be in November, and that my AME should mail in the supporting documentation.

What I am confused about is obtaining the information "at least 60 days prior to the expiration of your medical certificate." I get that I'm supposed to obtain it some time in September. But then I just hold on to it until November, when I go to the physical? Or should I send it in myself at that time, even though the AME is also supposed to send it in when I get my physical in November?

It seems weird to require me to obtain the information at least 60 days prior to the expiration of the medical certificate, but then not do anything with it for two months. How would they even know if I wait until the night before the physical? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Normally you will want the documentation sent directly from the healthcare provider to your AME. I would start on it early as it can take months for them to locate and send your documents along (we are talking large bureaucracies at hospitals in many cases).

Back