Seems the FAA is upping its scrutiny of former military pilots

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
Now 5000 pilots that have not reported. Of course, the former military pilots are an easy target because there is a Federal database on both sides of the question - the VA and the FAA.

It's like a bank robber complaining that the cops drove the wrong way on a one-way street on the way to arrest him.

Some of these people either are defrauding the Government (e.g., getting paid for a disability that doesn't actually disable them) or committing perjury (lying on their medical forms).

Ron Wanttaja

While I agree about the people committing fraud generally, I do think there is another much more libertarian perspective which suggests it is not quite analogous to the bank robbers.

The bank robbers are of course actually taking other people's property by force. In this case, the government has taken other people's property by force and these people are using deception to get a part of it. If they performed services and were injured and are not really being fully compensated for their injury or they and their families paid taxes which exceeded the value of the benefits which they are receiving, their behavior could be regarded as recovering stolen property.

I'm not sure many of them have thought this through like that or would use that as their justification, but nonetheless it causes me to not be so upset with them.

Back