Status of FAA Third Class Medical Exemption

First, thanks to all the pilots who post on this forum. I have learned much just reading here without posting.

Second, I’m surprised that there has not been any discussion on this forum (that I can find) about the EAA/AOPA medical exemption petition to the FAA.

The latest information I have is that the FAA may act on the petition about March 2013, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the FAA delayed action.

Therein lies my question. I have a third class special issuance medical (hypertension and hyperthyroidism - both well controlled). I plan to take Dr. Chien’s advice and have a through work up with my primary care physician and, if my AME will do it, a pre-third class medical examination before my medical expires in March.

But I worry, as we all do. My question is - would it be better to just wait and see what the FAA does on the petition, even if it means letting the third class expire.

I also wonder if the exemption will only apply to non-special issuance prior third class medicals.

I know that no one knows what the FAA will do, but does anyone have any thoughts or whether I should just wait until the FAA acts?

Thanks in advance.

bbchien said:
The rest of you if interested, know that I have had it this guy's personal abuse
As far as I can tell there aren't any exceptions in the PoA rule that states that no one is allowed to publicly post a private message without the permission of the author of said message.

Perhaps when you get a chance you should consider editing your message and remove those attachments that violate that PoA rule? You might find that material more usefully shared with the moderators if you want the abuse dealt with.

Otherwise I think you put the moderators in an uncomfortable position with regard to consistent enforcement of one of the more explcit rules of the forum.

KeithASanford said:
Dr. Bruce,
Do you think the recent development of the Special Issuance rules could be interpreted as a partial response/compromise to the 3rd class medical petition or were those changes in the works independent of the petition? It does involve a more leniency in the medical requirements.
Unsolicited opinion: Seems likely to have simply been part of a periodic update. The Pilots Bill of Rights has a section on "new" statutory requirements that medical certification must now meet, but hard to say whether it has any influence yet, or ever will.

Unsolicited opinion: Seems likely to have simply been part of a periodic update.
bbchien said:
Has no clue.
Can't argue with your assessment since I labeled it as an opinion. In my defense, I was relying on the simple fact that the following 55 page document covering changes to the guide showed them occurring several times a year over the last 6 years. Naturally it didn't mention the back story (which is much appreciated; thanks) to the latest changes.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/archives.pdf

Back