Student PIC Time

From 61.51
(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the student pilot—
(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft or is performing the duties of pilot of command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember;
(ii) Has a solo flight endorsement as required under §61.87 of this part; and
(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.
Does this mean that I need to review my logbook between the time I received my solo endorsement and took my checkride to add the PIC time?

Does this mean that I need to review my logbook between the time I received my solo endorsement and took my checkride to add the PIC time?
Not sure what you are asking; all your student pilot solo time was PIC time. None of your student pilot dual time is considered PIC time.

So if you are asking whether you should have logged student solo time as PIC, then the answer is yes.

Jaybird180 said:
That's what I've heard all along, but not what is indicated in 61.51
How is that not indicated in 61.51? You realize that you are supposed to put "and"s between 4.i, 4.ii, and 4.iii so that all the criteria must be met for the PIC time to apply?

It effectively reads:A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the student pilot is the sole occupant of the aircraft (or is performing the duties of pilot of command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember,) and has a solo flight endorsement as required under §61.87 of this part, and is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.

Edit: Unless you got dual in an airship of course! (Older airships required more than one pilot!)

Jaybird180 said:
Hmmmmmm.....is the key here airship???? That the student can log PIC dual in an airship versus airplane?
That appears to be the portion causing the mis-read. Just elide the whole portion that states "or is performing the duties of pilot in command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember" and see if it makes sense.

(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the student pilot—
(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft;
(ii) Has a solo flight endorsement as required under §61.87 of this part; and
(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.

Ron Levy said:
I think the part that had some folks stirred up was the statement someone made that Student Pilots could only log PIC when solo, and someone else then pointed out that Student Pilots in airships (but only in airships) could have a second crewmember aboard and still log PIC time.
Just FYI for anyone interested in where the two crewmember exception came from for airships: take a look at 3:25 into the following video; you'll see two pilots standing with control wheels, each controlling a different axis of rotation:

Back