C182S training - any hints?

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
I am starting training to fly the C182S on Monday. Anyone with experience in these have hints for a pilot coming from a lighter Cessna high-wing, like a Cardinal?

Pitch trim is your friend.

This is what hubby says. (He flew the 182 more, I flew the 172.) Don’t use too much up trim when you’re landing, you will not want it too heavy to push the nose down if need be. The controls are “heavier” than the Skyhawk. I could fly the Skyhawk with my pinkie finger. I don’t know about the Cardinal.

This is what hubby says. (He flew the 182 more, I flew the 172.) Don’t use too much up trim when you’re landing, you will not want it too heavy to push the nose down if need be. The controls are “heavier” than the Skyhawk. I could fly the Skyhawk with my pinkie finger. I don’t know about the Cardinal.
I always preferred to be slightly out of trim with a heavy nose if I had to go around late in the landing. Not much. Just a touch. If you’re to aggressive it’s possible to run out of elevator authority for the flare. In the 172 it really didn’t matter. The 182 is just heavy enough on the nose that awareness is required but it’s not difficult. I found it to be a pleasure to fly.

Back