Some training in the Enstrom F28 Helicopter.

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
Today was my first lesson in the Enstrom F28. Flew a bit to the training area to practice some landings. This is harder for me than the Robinson R22 as you have to control both the throttle and collective manually. And avoid the dangers of main rotor stall! I enjoyed it.

IMG_1325.png

IMG_5026.png

The Enstrom has high inertia blades, so throttle/collective control takes finesse while learning. There is a defined lag between rotor speed and throttle movement. Low inertia rotors react quicker to throttle input.

I could definitely feel that. It will take some time. Possibly a long time as I am just flying helis occasionally.

Today was my first lesson in the Enstrom F28. Flew a bit to the training area to practice some landings. This is harder for me than the Robinson R22 as you have to control both the throttle and collective manually. And avoid the dangers of main rotor stall! I enjoyed it.

IMG_1325.png

IMG_5026.png
The correlator on our 280FX seems pretty good and I find myself adjusting the throttle very little. With that said, when you do make changes you have to be very gentle. Also, just got TT straps and it's like a new machine.

It does have a correlator, and most likely it's not rigged correctly.

Is that right? The owner and instructor said no correlator, maybe he has it wrong. The flight manual for the F28C says (page 7-2) "Throttle. A twist•grip type throttle Is located on the collective pitch control stick for direct control of engine power. It is manually connected to the fuel servo-throttle valve on the engine." which doesn't really say yes or no directly.

The following item from Enstrom suggests that it does - http://enstromhelicopter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Correlator-operation-Work-Aid.pdf though also says applicability is to helicopters with correlators. Maybe some do and some don't. This ship from 1978.

Hmm... will have to ask the instructor about this again.

Back