Started teaching in a Cherokee 140 today.

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
6 flights today. First to the Coolidge (P08) fly-in, then a checkout flight in the PA28A-140, then some some T&Gs solo for practice, then a teaching flight to Casa Grande (KCGZ), and back to Coolidge, then home. Sort of tired.

It is a plane that requires a bit more work to slow down than my Cardinal - surprisingly.

Hmm, I've never noticed the cherokee more work to slow down (but not saying that it isn't, just hadn't noticed)...is your Cardinal a retract? That big "barn door" front gear door has to help slow things down.

Last edited:
No, my Cardinal is a 69A fixed gear. So it seems odd, doesn’t it? I will need to investigate and experiment further.

any speed mods on the 140? (I know, I know, speed and cherokee 140 are rarely used in the same sentence...)

So I was out and did a few more lessons in the 140 today. I am liking it better. I think part of the issue with speed may have been my sitting low in the seat - so that tended to make me want to keep the nose down to see over it. I added another pillow today and that seems to help.

It was quite windy so had the student approach a runway with about a 17 kt crosswind component so he could see what it felt like. Glad to see he exercised good judgement and decided to go around when the required slip used full rudder and could not hold track for some of the gusts. Good decision making and a properly executed go around.

Back