Considering flying cross county (OH to CA) VFR

Morne

Flying cross county (OH to CA) VFR

I have to be in Malibu, CA in early November for some business. I arranged for my meetings to be on a Friday so that I have a couple of weekend days for the trip back if necessary.

My question is, how feasible is it for a PP (non-instrument rated) to fly from Ohio all the way to California?

Obviously, if the weather looks poor I'll punt and fly on the airlines.

A few factors to consider - I am a new pilot. So far my longest flight has been from Minneapolis to northeast Ohio (about 4.5 hours in my 182). This will be MUCH LONGER, like 14+ hours depending on winds. My bird does not have long range tanks, so I intend to stop every 3.5 hours for fuel/stretch/restroom break.

Is this being too ambitious? Should I get a co-pilot to come with and split the duties? Or perhaps bring an instructor buddy and log a bunch of under the hood time (which would also allow us to fly through IMC)? Something tells me that talking a pal into a weekend in Malibu on my dime won't be that tough.:idea:

I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew. At the same rate, I also like expanding my horizons a bit. A flight to California certainly does that.

Please, nobody argue the dollars of flying my 182 versus the airlines. I'm sure the airlines would be more cost effective - that's not the point. Since it is a business trip, I'll get reimbursed for my flying either way. Might as well let the company pay for my AvGas.:D

Back