Flying C-152 Patterns Cessna's way

Jim Logajan

Administrator
Staff member
Gene Whitt was an experienced pilot who used to post to the Usenet aviation newsgroups. He had set up his own web site with a lot of wisdom and insight he had gained during his years of flying, though he passed away a few years ago. His web site eventually vanished too. Fortunately his writings are preserved on archive.org. I thought the following would be of interest to fliers of the Cessna C-152 and C-172. Maybe even the C-182. I found his insight useful while flying the C-152 and thought others might find it useful.

Quoting from https://web.archive.org/web/20080208114402/http://www.whittsflying.com/web/page5.62C-152.htm

Last week (9-7-99)I failed a checkride at a certified Cessna Agency in a C-152. I was surprised to find out that with judicious use of initial trim setting for takeoff and power, it is Cessna's standard instructional procedure to negate any use of trim. The C-152 can be leveled from climb at 80 knots just by a reduction in power to 2200 rpm. No trim necessary. The abeam the numbers reduction of power to 1600 and the first ten degrees of flaps gives an approach speed of 70 knots and power at 1500. No trim necessary. The addition of flaps in the turns gives sufficient lift/drag to make this one power setting applicable for the whole descent. The base turn is accompanied by the second notch of flaps. Result is an approach speed of 65-knots. No trim necessary. The full flap condition is applied in the turn to final and the speed drops to 60 knots for the final approach. Keep 60-knots into the roundout and flare at 54 knot by keeping the nose slightly below the end of the runway. By letting students see where they are going we keep them from being frightened..

Insult was added to injury when I found that the C-172N could be flown and landed the same way. according to Cessna I have been flying their aircraft incorrectly for over 30-years. Even my first instructor, who became a factory representative for Cessna, taught me incorrectly by emphasizing the use of trim. This old-dog has learned a new trick. Oh, lordy, I have seen the error of my ways and have a ton of repenting to do. Where was Arenias when I needed him?

Cardinal also is landed with a trim adjustment at the numbers, then just flap setting changes all the way around should give you the target speeds.

Interesting to think there is a Cessna way of doing things when it isn't in the manual. In other words, someone at Cessna decreed that this was the official way when it was really just their way.

Interesting to think there is a Cessna way of doing things when it isn't in the manual. In other words, someone at Cessna decreed that this was the official way when it was really just their way.
I suspect it just came out that way due to design constraints.

For example, if there is a design requirement that a pilot should not be required to apply heavy yoke force when cleaning up during a go-around, that means the trim on final with flaps down should be near or at the trim setting for flaps up takeoff setting. That would make the pilot's job easier because they don't have to man-handle the yoke while also trimming to reduce that force. So if you are trimmed to the book final speed with book designated flap settings, your trim should to be at or near a reasonable climb speed - if the design is good. In the case of the C-152 Whitt says the climb was at 80 knots - a high cruise climb in a 152, but lowered nose for better visibility. So merely reducing power can put it into level flight for down wind at 80 knots (and under flap extension speed.) Lowering flaps affects the aerodynamics and has the effect of lowering the trimmed speed. Then it is just a matter of throttle adjustments to adjust descent angle.

I had a couple chances to try a similar technique on a Piper Warrior using similar tach and flap settings which seemed to nearly replicate the Piper takeoff and landing POH speeds. However, I was doing this during my first ever checkout in a Piper airplane at a towered field and the young CFI seemed to think trimming in the pattern was required (and wanted a few more knots on downwind) so my experiment was abruptly ended. (He also wanted a speed on final that was higher than the POH value.)

Back