Flying Friends???

Samuel Peight

Hi, guys! I have a quick question that I would like advice/opinions on. Just a little background on me... I am 17 years old, and I have my private pilot's license. I have around 80 hours and am doing some groundwork on my IFR and coordinating with a instructor to start working on my Instrument rating. I actually paid for my private pilot's license myself, I am home schooled so therefore I was able to get a job. Recently my dad and I purchased a Cherokee 180(He paid most of it, but I did contribute some.) with the intention of using it for time building, and some flight training(My dad is working on his ppl). I have around 20 hours in the Cherokee and the rest is in a Cessna 172. My end goal would be a career in aviation, perhaps charter or Airlines. Anyway enough about me.

My problem is that my parents do not feel I should take my friends on a plane ride. I think they feel I should be a little older before I do that, or perhaps they are worried about goofing around. I do understand the risk involved with passengers, such as increased chance of distraction. I have flown my family members, and am comfortable with the increased weight and different handling characteristics of more people than just me and my instructor. I do have a passenger briefing outline, so i'm not overly concerned about that part. I do however understand the need for a good briefing, especially with first time flyers. I do believe I am a safe and conscientious pilot, although I think everyone would say that about themselves. I do realize I need to know my limitations, and always be alert to complacency and other hazardous attitudes. And my plan would be to limit myself to just 1 passenger at first, so that there would be less to handle.

I would like advice on how to handle this with my parents. I obviously respect and honor their wishes that I don't have passengers. However I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience, or if they would have a suggestion on how to communicate to them, my side of the issue. For all I know, you guys feel they are correct, and I would welcome that input as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

My son obtained his private at 17. The father of his girlfriend would not permit her to fly alone with him. He wanted an older chaperone in the plane and his stated concern was distractions amongst teenagers in general.

I think he agreed that once my son obtained his commercial, he would be ok with it, since a that point he would have more experience and would be trusted by the FAA to fly people for hire.

Samuel Peight said:
Yes, the thing that they have said, Is brain development, and my age.
Yes, the frontal lobes are typically developing until about age 25, so there is typically a fair difference between the risk management decision made by 17 and 25 year olds.

Back