If flying Part 103 ultralights was your only choice, would you do it?

N918KT

Consider this scenario, say if you have been denied a medical so Sport Pilot, Private Pilot, and higher certificates are unavailable, and also say there are no access or training to balloons or gliders nearby, would you fly a Part 103 ultralight (airplane) if that is your only choice? Would you want to fly a flying contraption that looks just like a flying lawn chair?

Would you want to fly a flying contraption that looks just like a flying lawn chair?
My lawn chairs look nothing like this:

Cropped%20UC%20249.jpg

docmirror said:
Wow, I just read up on the Hummel bird. 6G rating, and 80MPH cruise.

Edited for accuracy.
Unfortunately the Hummel Bird doesn't qualify as an ultralight (too fast, too heavy, too much fuel) but the Hummel Ultracruiser does qualify.

iflyforfun said:
... that is a beautiful little plane that you ought to be very proud to fly.
Just to clarify, that is an image from this web site: http://www.flyhummel.com/ultra_cruiser.htm

I do not own one or ever been in one, but I've always thought the Hummel Ultracruiser was quite a feat of metal airplane design, given the tight constraints needed to stay within ultralight regs.

docmirror said:
Did you see the part of my post where it says "edited for accuracy?" Maybe that was after your post. But no, it appears in the quoted part. BTW, my post didn't specifically say the Bird was UL, albeit we are in a thread about UL planes. Just a few nits for you to pick. :D
Sorry, missed that.

Back